Creamy Turmeric Latte
So I take a curcumin supplement (the main active ingredient found in turmeric) to help reduce inflammation, though I thought it would be good to add more turmeric into my diet where I could, as well as other anti-inflammatory ingredients such as cinnamon. I’d seen “turmeric lattes” around so thought I’d try one myself. It’s creamy and soothing and a really nice way to get these spices into your day.
- Cup full of seed or nut milk (I use almond milk though coconut would be nice)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan and then add the milk, and gently bring to the boil.
- Add the turmeric (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and ground black pepper (dash) to a little cold milk to make a paste (you can do this in the cup you will be drinking from). Then add this to the hot milk and stir well.
- Add the honey (1 tsp) and blackstrap molasses (1/2 tsp) if using and stir well.
- Pour into your cup and enjoy 🙂
Cinnamon has anti-spasmodic properties which can help ease menstrual cramping.
As well as reducing pain, a study into dysmenorrhea found that cinnamon lessened menstrual bleeding considerably¹ as well as nausea and vomiting.
Turmeric has long been used for its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
Since turmeric is fat-soluble the coconut oil is used to help aid absorption.
Black pepper makes the active ingredients in turmeric accessible to the body and is reported to increase the absorption rate by 2000%!²
Curcumin, the active ingredient found in turmeric, is responsible for much of the health-promoting benefits – though makes up just 5% of turmeric. I use a curcumin supplement to achieve a higher-level dose (1000mg).
Raw honey preserves the all of the precious nutrients and enzymes and so is the main aspect I look for when buying honey.
See if you can find a local beekeeper – beekeeping has become increasingly popular and this can help support hobbyists as well as ensure that the honey you buy is truly raw.